Chapter 6: I’m In the Band (The Second Drummer Drowned)
There’s nobody quieter in an interview than a replacement member of a band: the studio assistant who got the job as guitarist because the singer noticed he could play the licks better than the actual guitarist, the bassist who got drafted when the rest of the band decided they couldn’t take one more bus ride with that founding member. And there’s nobody louder than a lead singer who’s decided to say how he really feels about a departed member of the group. The smart ones take a dignified high road, even when that drummer was a substance-abusing freak who was bringing down the whole band, but who ever said lead singers were smart?
- Did Chevy Chase play drums for Steely Dan?
- Who was originally supposed to become the vocalist of the Sex Pistols?
- Has any band been together with all its founding members longer than U2?
- Okay, if D12 aren’t Eminem’s band, how did they hook up?
- Why did the Clash throw Mick Jones out of the band?
- Why does Bez get a credit on Happy Monday recordings?