1. Waite kicking off the video by giving the overhead lamp a push, better to get the drama of an oscillating light.
2. Waite looking gaunt to the point of ill health.
3. Waite’s powder-blue suit, worn nonironically.
4. Waite singing the song’s chorus as he walks down a city sidewalk, eyeballed by pedestrians who seem more curious about the film crew than about him.
5. Waite hanging up a pay phone with such force that he pulverizes the handset.
There is actually a whole chapter about John Waite in VJ, the book I wrote with Nina Blackwood, Mark Goodman, Alan Hunter, and Martha Quinn, coming out May 7th. It’s got passion, scarves, and the secret origin of “Missing You”–if you want to know more, you can order it from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Powell’s.